So here is one of our typical weekends. We didn't get anything done around the house (there's still lots of boxes in the office to unpack and pictures to hang and the never-ending yard work) but we were still very busy.
Tom and Jack got home in time for dinner. We hadn't had time to do any of our yard work so I told the boys that if they finished mowing the lawn, I would take them to Sonic for milkshakes. They got right on it after dinner. I wasn't thinking when I bribed them to get it done that Tom and Jack would be out there too. So, way after dark, we were still out there mowing and bagging grass. I tried getting them to stop several times but they really wanted to go to Sonic. (I would have bought it for them anyways, but they were definitely determined.) I took over for Jack because I could tell he was exhausted but in the end, Tom was mowing, poor guy. I know he was exhausted. When there was only a little bit left, Tom started running with the lawn mower. They were having relay races. Even Grace was running behind everyone else. It was so funny to see them sprinting and laughing while mowing the lawn in the dark while we were getting eaten by mosquitoes.
We left for Sonic well after 9 p.m. I was a little worried that it would be closed but it wasn't, thank goodness. Jack and Josh both order limeade chillers. While we were waiting, Jack saw that they sell Java chillers on the menu. Josh then asked what Java was. I explained that it was coffee and then Kade blurts out, "Ew yuck, why would you want to eat Jabba the Hut?!" It was so funny.
On Sunday, Tom Barbequed steak. We must have let a fly in because it was buzzing around during dinner. At one point I said Shoo fly, Shoo. Immediately Grace said, "Foo Foo Shy." It was funny to hear her imitate me.
You guys do such a great job of setting an example of service. You have such wonderful kids. I sure miss you all!
ReplyDeleteSounds exhausting! Good way to motivate them to get it done, though! I love when a good bribe works :)
ReplyDelete