Monday, May 17, 2010

Fun Weekend

To finish off our fun weekend, we had our second Stake Conference in three weeks. Elder Holland came and spoke to us. They announced last week that they would broadcast the meeting to our building since we live 1 1/2 hours away, but I wanted our kids to be in the same room as an apostle. They won't have many opportunities to do that. So, we got up early to get there on time. About 15 minutes before church started they announced that anyone who still didn't have a seat would have to go to another building. I'm so glad we got there in time. That would have been lame to drive that far to not be able to see him especially since we could have just stayed home to do that.

Afterwards, we ate our lunch on the back lawn (a tradition for our ward) in the shadow of the Memphis Temple. So cool.

The boys were so excited for this weekend because it was the Father - Son Camping trip. This is their favorite weekend of the whole year. We never go camping although we talk about it all the time so this is a big deal for them.

Tom and the boys went up early to set up the tent because all three of the boys had make-up baseball games Friday night due to rain earlier in the week.
They didn't make it back to camp until 10 p.m. but they still cooked hot dogs and roasted marshmallows and played with fire. They could get as dirty as they wanted and there was no mom nagging them to brush their teeth!
Tom bought three fishing poles this year. The boys were so excited. Jack and Josh both caught a fish. This was their first time fishing (if you don't count the time we found string and Cheerios on the ground at a lake in Utah with Uncle Jimmy which the boys always like to count as fishing.)
Tom said that the lake was really pretty and it was a great place to camp. He said we should go back as a family. I asked about the bathrooms because I need a bathroom. He said he thought there was a restroom there but he wasn't sure. I'm not so sure this sounds like a great camping spot.
There weren't really any kids there except for my boys. There were older scouts, but they didn't come with their dads. That's a little disappointing, but Tom said they didn't care. They were happy to be camping. They didn't care who else was there.
The boys stayed up super late then got up early on Saturday. They were all up by 5:30 a.m. because it was going to rain. They pulled the tent down and got everything in the car by 6 a.m. so they went fishing early. It rained on them and they got soaked but that's part of camping. I asked Tom why he didn't just leave the tent up and stay in there and be dry but I guess I don't have the true camping spirit. What's a little water, right?






2 comments:

  1. What a cool opportunity to see an apostle in person. Also, I agree with you on the whole bathroom situation while camping. Wes makes fun of me for that but honestly, a campground should have bathrooms with hot water. Maybe it's a conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of Tom for remembering to take pictures! Those are great memories that the boys will always keep. Fun times with dad.

    Yea, I would make Tom scope it out to see if there are real toilets (not port-a-potties) that flush. We were so spoiled with our camping experiences growing up. But since mom and dad set the bar...I expect it! :)

    Tell Kade not to worry about not catching any fish. I don't think I have ever caught fish when I have gone fishing.

    ReplyDelete